Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bidding adieu to cricket

Test cricket, or any kind of cricket for that matter, has lost much of its old charm. There was a time when it used to be played only in winters and in an away-series in summers. People used to wait for these series and watch them on the TV. Every moment used to feel special and exciting. I remember when I was in a boarding school and the TV in our common room had gone for repair, we used to sneak into the quarters of our kitchen staff to catch the live telecasts. We used to feel restless all the time till we got the latest scores. I used to know all the records and every little detail about the players, matches and venues. Now cricket is played round the year. 20-20 has added to the chaos. I feel I have watched so much cricket, every situation howsoever exciting seems like a repeat of many other such moments from those numerous matches. The novelty is lost. Moreover, now I feel it is a complete waste of time. May be work and other responsibilities have become more important. But I still keep a track of the matches and scores, even though I don’t watch cricket anymore. A keen cricket fan retires from the game.

3 comments:

  1. Well written. By the way, I feel the same has happened with Indian Television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one but would just say the game has grown over the years and it had its share of misfortunes.Test matches still enthrall the people while 20-20 is like a 'baraat ceremony' of an Indian Wedding!i urge the retired cricket fan to come out of the retirement. Although your POV is respected!

    ReplyDelete